A few weeks ago I was browsing The Blog on lululemon. I was guided to a blog post titled 5 tips to shining your light by Emma Mildon. Her book the Soul Searchers Handbook comes out in October and I cannot wait to read it! My new found love for yoga has me super curious about everything mind-body-spirit. Aromatherapy, meditation, Feng Shui… you name it.
As I was browsing Amazon, a few other suggested reads popped up that caught my eye. I bought one for a close friend and Light is the New Black for myself. To be honest, I have not read a book front to back (for fun) since college but this book caught my attention in a serious way. Like me, Rebecca Campbell works (worked) in the advertising world.
(Jet setter meets gypsy spirit, in her twenties Rebecca blogged her way around the world as The Skype Nomad and shared her adventures in a regular column in The Daily Telegraph.– how cool is that?). Rebecca’s book is a guide to answering your soul’s calling and working your light. Finding your true path and being your most authentic self while embracing your uniqueness.
After flipping through the first few pages I Immediately felt like she was my soul sister. Her career experiences resonated with me to some degree + I’m intrigued by other people’s outlooks on life so I kept flipping through the pages. A week later and I was already done with the book, which sort of amazed me. I don’t do that – like ever. I REALLY enjoyed it.
If you’re hanging on to something in your life and you need to let go – this book is for you. If you’re soul searching and wanting to light up the world with your presence – this book is for you. If you want to make your light brighter – this book is for you. Here are some of my favorite quotes from her book!
- You = complete masterpiece.
- Love your suffering and don’t fight it. It is there to lead you back to your most authentic, biggest, brightest self.
- Flowers don’t open and close according to who is walking by. They open and show their beauty regardless.
- Start small and follow the invisible trail of the things you love; before you know it you will land smack bang in the middle of your calling.
- Don’t waste your time striving to become the person you long to be, spend your time being the person you already are. The person you long to be is already inside you. You do you (#YDY).
- We live in an age where we are called to define who we are in 140 characters. The amount of time I’ve spent editing my Twitter profile description should be a jail-able offense. Everyone I know has no idea how to describe what they ‘do’ and who they ‘are’ in a sentence. That is because defining who you are in 140 characters is impossibl! And more than that, you are a work in progress, an ever-evolving work of art so 140 characters will never sum you up. Ever! And that is a good thing.
- The world is filled with people who, no matter what you do, will point blank not like you. But it is also filled with those who will love you fiercely. They are your people. You are not for everyone and that’s OK. Talk to the people who can hear you.
- Be an encourager, not a discourager.
Follow the journey on twitter with #LightIsTheNewBlack. Listen to the playlist on Spotify (below) and join her tribe on Facebook. Do it now.
You can purchase her book here.