YAS we did it. The Huffington Post ranked Kansas City as the most exciting, “it” city in the United States. Most recently known for our sports success, the Kansas City Royals won the World Series, Sporting KC won the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup, FC Kansas City won the NWSL title and the Chiefs made the playoffs. Beyond the field, KC is home to a load of up-and-coming local restaurants and yoga studios.
Bring your best printed yoga pants, roll out your mat and get ready to embrace all things Kansas City. Check out my curated collection of places to practice yoga, hangout and indulge.
- Simple Science Juices: A cold pressed juicery located in Overland Park + Crossroads, Simple Science offers cold pressed juice and paleo friendly eats. They also have delicious Kombucha flavors on tap.
- Unbakery: East Brookside juice bar and raw eatery – boasts a colorful lineup of veggie noodles, salads & acai bowls.
- Heirloom: Another East Brookside gem, Heirloom provides made from scratch fare in an inviting atmosphere. They use fresh, local and seasonal ingredients whenever possible. You HAVE to try their homemade pop-tarts. Expect a line out the door early on weekends.
- t.Loft: This healthy cafe offers natural food and snacks, fresh juice, protein balls and organic tea. They now have four locations across Kansas City and offer yummy “meal bowls” – try the spicy chicken quinoa bowl!
- Cafe Gratitude: A 100% plant based + organic restaurant located in the Crossroads. Here you’ll find vegan meals labeled Grateful, Fortified and Fabulous. Make sure to try their tonics and elixirs.
- The Mixx: Healthy, hearty, delicious and fast – offering innovative sandwiches, delicious wraps, gourmet salads, sauteed pastas and colorful soups that match any season.
- Enjoy Pure Food & Drink: This new vegan friendly eatery opened in April next door to Fusion Fitness in Mission Farms. Here you’ll find organic salads, smoothies, wraps, bowls and cold-pressed juices. All menu items are non-processed, plant-based + organic – with vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free/soy-free options.
- Q39: At the forefront Q39 is barbecue, using multiple cooking techniques to create national championship and award-wining dishes for small tastes and large appetites. I dig this place for its modern-rustic style, innovative sides and their plethora of sauce choices. The wings are the bomb diggity.
- Char Bar: BBQ and Southern eats with a modern twist located in the heart of Westport. Don’t miss their 10,000-square foot Beer Garden featuring backyard amusements such as lawn croquet, bocce and ping-pong. Vegetarians should try The Jackknife (smoked jackfruit).
- Oklahoma Joe’s: Now called Joe’s Kansas City, this spot is pretty epic. World famous and recognized by local, regional + national media. Anthony Bourdain claimed this spot as one of thirteen places to eat before you die. I always get the Chicken Z-man.
- Port Fonda: This modern catina holds a special place in my heart. We’ve used them for all our engagement events and birthdays. We even celebrated there after Chance (my fiancé) won the MLS Cup. You honestly can’t beat the vibe and eclectic atmosphere. The Mexican fare is crazy good and the bustling bar scene will knock your socks off. You’ll have dreams about their Esquite Asado.
- il Lazzorone Pizza: An authentic Neapolitan Pizzeria in the River Market area of Kansas City. The San Marzano tomatoes are grown at the base of Mount Vesuvius and the dough is made with only four ingredients: yeast, flour, water and salt. The ovens are wood-fired and imported from Naples. If you’re going to eat snazzy pizza, this is the spot to do it.
- Raw Power: This new wave yoga studio is the perfect mix of strength, cardio, flexibility and fun. Classes include: Hot Power Yoga, Yoga Body Boot Camp, Ballet Booty Pilates and Run Club.
- Yoga Gallery: This traditional yoga studio located in the historic downtown Overland Park area has been part of the yoga community for over 12 years. This is a great spot to slow things down and find your yoga roots. You’ll leave feeling refreshed and euphoric!
- Sage Center for Yoga: A yoga sanctuary located in the heart of Kansas City’s Crossroads District. Here you’ll practice vinyasa, yin and restorative yoga classes taught by seasoned instructors. Ayurveda focused, you’ll find a place to shop, practice and enjoy massage, chiropractic + skincare treatments.
- Yoga 6: This popular yoga franchise recently opened in Leawood. The studio offers a broad range of heated and non-heated yoga classes, boot camp style fitness classes and meditation.
- Core Energy KC: This local spot is known for heated power vinyasa yoga based on Baron Baptiste sequence. It is one of my #ClassPass faves.
- Yoga on the Pitch: Yoga at Children’s Mercy Park on the field with Sporting KC players and yoga enthusiasts. All proceeds benefit The Victory Project. Click here to register.
- Yoga Rocks the Park: Dubbed America’s outdoor yoga studio. This yoga series is a celebration of yoga, music and community.
- Wanderlust 108 KC: The worlds only Mindful Triathlon. Wanderlust 108 is a field say for your mind, body and soul. Starts with a 5k, ends with yoga and meditation. The Kansas City event is scheduled for May 21, 2016.
- Liberty Memorial: Located in the heart of Kansas City. Lounge on the grass with a perfect view of downtown or visit the National World War I Museum. If you’ve got a furry friend, visit Penn Valley Park just around the corner.
- Riverfront Park: Located near the River Market, this is one of my favorite spots to ride my fixie. The backdrop is gorgeous – especially at sunset!
- Loose Park: Located near the Country Club Plaza, this is my favorite park in KC for picnics. Chance and I had our first date here and it will forever hold a special place in my heart.
- Little Freshie: The cutest handcrafted soda fountain & espresso bar. I come for the freezer pops and snow cones!
- Thou Mayest: A laid back coffee & cocktail shop with a hip patio. The second floor deck overlooks Grinder’s concert venue.
- Quay Coffee: Beans sourced from Oddly Correct Roasters, Quay promises amazing coffee and a simple menu. With a large service bar, multiple tables, and a large meeting room, there is a lot of space for study, reading, working, meeting, and socializing at Quay Coffee.
- Baldwin Denim: Kansas City based denimn collection founded by Matt Baldwin. Located on the Country Club Plaza or out south in Leawood. Today the brand encompasses full collections for men and women inspired by timeless modern design seen through the grit and grace of the American Midwest. All items are American-made.
- Fine Folk: Located downtown, here you’ll find a strong collection of labels consisting of emerging, independent and established designers previously not available in KC.
- Dear Society: A new vintage + modern clothing, home goods & gift shop located downtown off Broadway.
- Twill: A small boutique in Crestwood neighborhood that carries contemporary women’s brands.
- Standard Style: One of Kansas City’s original designer boutiques, Standard is located on both the Country Club Plaza and out south in Leawood. The concept was started by owners Matt & Emily Baldwin who were recently featured on Amazon’s The Fashion Fund for Baldwin Denim.
- Golden & Pine: Here you’ll find handcrafted and responsibly produced home goods from Kansas City & and around the United States. They partner with designers, makers and craftspeople that care about production practices and deliver quality made goods.
- Floating KC: Zero gravity float therapy. A nice place to meditate and find your zen.
- Cryo Salon: A Cryo therapy salon located out south near Lionsgate. Whole Body Cryotherapy is a hyper-cooling process that provides your body relief of inflammation, pain and soreness by surrounding your body with extremely cold air temperatures averaging -240 degrees Fahrenheit in a Cryo booth for up to 3 minutes.
- Imperial Foot Care: Relaxing reflexology located in Westport. A 1hr session is only $30. Make sure to call ahead, they are super busy lately!
- hOme holistic: A one-stop-yoga and wellness center specializing in prenatal yoga but offers acupuncture, chiropractic therapy, massage and much more.